Sunday, June 26, 2011

Grin and Bare It

This book from author Colleen Clement promises to be the "Rants of a single non-lesbian woman over 40"

I read this short work thinking of the promised biting satire that it said it contained. I love satire, and I love more when someone just says it the way it is, and this book really promised to do that.

Saying that, I walked away amazed, breathless at the utter frustration that this author obviously has towards anything resembling the male gender. She to me is angry at a lot of things, mainly men. She makes silly statements such as a there is no such thing as a special love between a mother and her child, that love is love. I am no mother, however I can tell you I see this in my friends with kids. She also feels that if you are single, and do not have kids, somehow you are out of place socially with those around you whom have kids.

HUH? Come to me again? I have NO kids, and have friends who have many and interact socially with them all the time and feel totally a part of the group. The authors writing is so self loathing that I felt sorry for her, she is obviously so unhappy deep down, and frankly her man hating diatribes against men makes this short read seem SOOOOO long.

I am sorry but what the author needs is a man, and a therapist in equal doses. I am not trying to be cruel, but this book is so horribly one sided. However my review is not. I really wanted to read some fun and biting commentary, something that would make me laugh, and agree, to pat her on her back and yell GO GIRL YEAH! But instead I walked away disgusted.

1 Star

No comments:

Post a Comment